Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Google Voice Works in Taiwan!

Update 11/05/14:  Apparently Google has decided to stop 3rd party access to Google Voice as of May 15, 2014. :(

However you can still use Talkatone.  If you don't already have an account with Talkatone you can sign up for one using the VPN method.

Talkatone services include:
Your own unique, FREE, local phone number;
FREE texting;FREE inbound calling; 
Texting US numbers from your Talkatone app with a Talkatone number is FREE, inbound as well as outbound. Inbound calls are FREE. Outbound calls on Talkatone to US phone numbers cost 1 credit per minute. 
For US based users:When you sign up for Talkatone you will receive 10 FREE minutes of outbound calls per month, and you can earn an additional 10 FREE minutes per month by connecting your Facebook account and verifying your cell number.
For non-US based users:When you sign up for Talkatone you will receive a one-time allocation of 10 FREE minutes of outbound calls 
Calling and texting other Talkatone users is always free.
You can buy additional credits through your app store at a price of $0.99 for 60 credits. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I just recently learned that I can use my Google Voice number in Taiwan, and it makes me very happy to know that.  I've been playing around with it recently.  Although the quality isn't always as good as I would like it to be, it's still pretty awesome nonetheless.

Basically by using my Google Voice number, my smartphone, and the Talkatone app, I am able to have a U.S. number in Taiwan.  Which means my friends and family in the U.S. can call, text, and leave me voice mail messages, and I am able to receive it on my smartphone in Taiwan.  I can also call and text them using the Talkatone app.  Best of all it's free!  (Though you do have to pay for your normal cell phone plan/data usage.)  Ironically, it is actually now cheaper for me to call people in the States than it is to call people in Taiwan.

Since I already had a Google Voice number and a smartphone it made it easier for me to set it up in Taiwan.  All I had to do was download the Talkatone app on my smartphone and set up my Google Voice account on Talkatone.

If you don't have a Google Voice number, and you are already in Taiwan....technically speaking you are unable to set up a Google Voice number outside of the U.S.  However, there are ways around that.  You can just do a simple Google search on "How to setup Google Voice from outside the U.S." and follow the directions on the websites.  Another way is if you have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) you can set up Google Voice outside of the U.S.  VPN's in Taiwan also allow you to use websites like Hulu, Netflix, ABC.com, etc. when you otherwise wouldn't be able to because you are located outside of the U.S.

For the other websites showing you how to set up Google Voice outside of the U.S., make sure you do your due diligence and research everything before you download anything.  Also be very careful on how you set up your Google Voice number and how you have your settings on the Talkatone app.  If you set it up wrong you may be charged roaming fees.  So far with the way I have it set up now I have not been charged any roaming fees for using the Talkatone app to call my friends and family in the U.S.

5 comments:

  1. The contents has provided meaningful information thanks for sharing info ...voip phone rochester ny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey admin, your blog's design is so cool and loving it. Your articles are so cool. Please continue this great work. Greets!!!

    Whatsapp Status Messages & Happy Status For Whatsapp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. Buy Google Voice Accounts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a professional google voice seller. If you interested please contact me.
    Skype:: live:.cid.c096ad779132bc43

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you want to access talkatone premium account and don't have enough money? Don't worry you are at the right place, i will guide you how you can access a free vpn for talkatone without money.

    ReplyDelete